Do you need a new passport? What about your kids? Good news! The Department of State is hosting special Passport Acceptance Fairs all across the country to make it easier for you to drop off and process your paperwork without needing to make an appointment ahead of time. A list of locations can be found here. Events are ordered by date first and then alphabetized by state so you may have to scroll down to find an event near you. For most locations all you have to do is show up during the window. If you are like me, you’ll want to show up first thing and be in and out to avoid the lines.
Most events are for first-time applicants and children using Form DS-11 to apply.
You will need to bring with you:
- Citizenship evidence (Commonly a certified birth certificate)
- Photo Identification if you are over the age of 18 (Drivers license, military ID, government ID)
- Proof of relationship (for children under 16 only – birth certificate, adoption decree, etc. BOTH parents must be present or you must have a special power of attorney to apply or provide evidence that you have sole legal authority)
- A 2 x 2 in. passport photo.
- Check or Money Order* paid to “Department of State” for the application fee (Adult $110 Child under the age of 16 $80) and a separate check or money order for the execution fee $35.
Passport processing times are typically 4-6 weeks for routine processing and 2-3 weeks expedited (for a fee). Be sure to take care of this sooner rather than later to avoid any issues with processing (i.e. returned photos, additional documentation requested, etc.)
It’s better to have your passport ready to go so if you decide to travel/cruise last minute, you can, rather than pay an expensive expediting fee or miss out on traveling all together. If I can help you through the process please let me know!
Until your next trip,
Happy Wanderlusting! xo, K
*Note: Credit cards are not accepted at these events unless otherwise noted.